Monday, December 1, 2008

Phantom Fascination

Noah is watching (and hearing!) the Phantom of the Opera. He loves this movie, what he's allowed to watch of it. He plays two of the movie's songs on the piano, in different modes. He plays whichever "mode" (piano, organ, strings, choir) fits the song. For example, the Phantom of the Opera is played in organ mode, but he plays Angel of Music as strings. He's working on a new tune, Think of Me. He'll probably spend a week or so working it out, and then will practice it a lot. I love that. I'd rather see him picking out tunes than staring at the tv or playing video games. He's doing well on the cello, going at a good pace. (He has three variations of Twinkle down.) I think we may add on formal piano lessons in a couple of years. I'm delighted that he's playing the cello and piano. I think music is a real joy for him, as it is for David, the older kids, and me.

Because I had the four older kids within six years, I can't always remember who did what when they were little. It seems to me that they all enjoyed picking out tunes on the piano like Noah does. David and I did it too. Now all of my kids play instruments: Sarah, harp, Rebekah, flute and piano, Josh, piano, Ben, guitar, and Noah, cello and piano.

I found a bow and arrow and I learned to shoot. I found a little horn and I learned to toot. Now I can shoot and toot, ain't I cute? ~Danny Kaye in The Court Jester

No comments: