Tuesday, December 16, 2008

This and that / update on K

Well, it happened. My beloved laptop was invaded by a rogue spyware, Antivirus 2009. It started with pop-ups windows warning me that it was time to download it, as viruses were detected in my pc. I felt funny about it right away, spotted a misspelling, and ran it down to David. He tried to reject the pop-ups, and even tried to remove the [insert pc term/s that I am not fluent in] from my laptop, but they came back the next day. I got strange loud bleeeeps, and then the dreaded "blue screen of death." We researched it, and found that others, going to the most benign sites, also got it. One girl was simply researching dog behavior for a homework assignment.

So now I am using David's desktop. He will frown upon this, especially since Ben's laptop just had a "major stroke" this morning and wouldn't even start up right. David will fear us all using his jealously-guarded "Larry." (Ben's is Curly, mine's Moe - I hate that.) He has reason to guard it. He does all our banking and bills from it. So I must abstain from unnecessary surfing (like this). I'm glad I've got a good book on hand...

In other news, I took my college placement tests last week, and I see a counselor today. I'm so excited! (I think I did OK on the tests...)

Ben is sick with what may be pneumonia, but the results aren't in. He's not wiped-out sick, but just not better from the sinusitis and pharyngitis he was diagnosed with last week, despite taking Ceftin for a week. He looks peaked, and is lacking some energy. Plus he has a cough. His doctor heard a rattle yesterday that he didn't hear last week. So he sent us off to get bloodwork (looking for micoplasma) and a chest X-ray. He'll call me today. If he deems, Ben will go on Biaxin to battle pneumonia. Otherwise, he'll finish out the Ceftin. The doctor said it could be a virus, and that it can take 10-14 days to shake.

My sister-in-law, K, is home in hospice care. She's had pneumonia for about a month now. The doctors have said she may not see New Year's, but we know that God's time-table can be very different. She was given 3-6 months at the beginning of this whole thing, 3 years ago. She made it out of the ICU a couple months ago, when she had a blood infection. Anymore, I take the doctor's words with a grain of salt. They only know what they've seen before, but miracles do happen. Ben's doctor happens to be a pediatric hematologist, and he told me that he's seen scans where tumors had been, but were no more. The parents had done nothing different - the tumors were gone. What an encouragement that was! I was so happy to share this with my brother. Please continue to pray for K and my brother. She has some pain, and is very tired, somewhat from the morphine, but her sweet smile is ever-present. She has such a gentle personality. I am so glad she is home now, enjoying her home, her dogs, and the season. Please pray for good rest, energy, strength, peace, and organization ability for my brother, as he is her main care-giver. Between his boss keeping him on the payroll, and insurance, and my father meeting their financial needs, he is able to do this. And that is a huge blessing. Her mom is also there alot, and I know that's a big help and comfort. I have offered to come one day a week, but he's not sure yet. Aids come 4-5 times a week, and a nurse comes in once a week. K is on "full code" right now, because she and my brother are looking for a miracle. That means every effort will be made to save her if she goes into major distress. Many people in hospice decide to be "DNR - do not resucitate" but K feels that is not the right thing for her. My brother supports whatever she wants to do.

No comments: