Thursday, November 27, 2008

Pass the pumpkin pie

It's a beautiful day, and we will soon leave for Nanny and Papaw's for the big meal. My father and little sister, Erin, joined us for breakfast this morning. I made waffles with strawberry sauce or syrup, bacon, juice, and coffee. I think I enjoyed the kitchen chat while preparing the food more than the actual meal. Erin and Dad were in and out of the kitchen, talking with me as I poured waffles.

After breakfast, Noah, Dad, and I took the dogs for a walk. Dad stood and looked at the view of the city he's worked in for almost fifty years. We quized Noah on the name of the city, the river in front of it, and various prominent buildings. As we continued on, I pointed out different homes, and interesting stories that went along with them. Here is one such story. The elderly lady across the street, Elsie, shared it with me:

Elsie and her husband, Bill, had seven children. The family next-door to them had six. The mother next door, Mrs. Greenawalt, went by the nickname, "Greenie." She was a bundle of energy, taking in ironing, besides being an excellent housekeeper. She was very aware of neighborhood happenings, and watched the comings and goings of everyone through a window by which she ironed. I imagine she listened to the radio while she ironed, like I watch TV. Greenie always had the scoop. If a strange car was parked on the street, she soon ferreted out the why's and wherefore's. Elsie wasn't as on top of things outside her home, only finding out local news from Greenie while they hung laundry in their backyards. One day, Elsie's husband offered to buy her a clothes dryer, to ease her workload. "Oh no!" she exclaimed, "I wouldn't have to hang laundry then, and I'd miss all the gossip from Greenie!"

Dad shed some light on a local tradegy. Before I could, he pointed out a certain house. "I knew the man who lived there. He was one of my clients." (Dad's a stock-broker.) I told him that a man committed suicide there. "That was my client," he said, "He had suffered from chronic back pain for years, and finally couldn't take it anymore. He was in his 50's." How sad.

Back at the house, we all watched the dog show, looking for a Boston and a Sheltie, our dog's breeds. The pointer won. She was beautiful.

I made 2 pumpkin pies to take to my in-laws.

My brother, Steve, and his wife, K, will spend the holiday at the hospital. Her mom is bringing food in, to have a little celebration there.

Time to go to Nanny and Papaw's.

No comments: