Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Disney World Hyjinks

I just read about a great family trip. http://whettenhappenings.blogspot.com/ I was so impressed that this large family had no mishaps on their trip. I note this because back in 1998, we joined my dad, step-mother, and my twin half-sisters on their annual trip to Disney World, FL. Actually, they took us there, and it was quite a treat!

As soon as we got off the plane, we were herded into a waiting limo which took us to an amazing hotel inside the "country" of Disney. It was called the Beach and Yacht Club. It was a two-part establishment, and I believe we were in the Yacht part. The lobby was amazing. We just walked around with mouths agape, like in those movies where a child finds himself in such a place and looks up and around. Just like that. Only we weren't being filmed. From this location, we could walk to Epcot, watch fireworks every night on a man-made beach, or go to the "boardwalk," especially nice at night. We also took buses or boats to various parks, no charge. There was no driving. Everything was imaculate. Until we arrived...


It all started on the first day, as we lounged around the pool. My little sister, Robin, wasn't very active, and my step-mother, Brenda, told me she was sick to her stomach. Poor thing. I hoped she felt better soon. The next day was nice. We spent the day at the original park, the one with the castle. But the next day, at Blizzard Beach, a crack began to form on the perfect porcelain vase that was our dream vacation. It was my dad, on a lounge chair, not feeling too good. This is rare; Dad's constitution is excellent. He boasts on not having thrown up since 1963! But he looked a little green around the gils on this day, and finally took a bus back to the Yacht Club, where he promptly crawled into bed, and stayed there for two days.


That night, the real action began. David and Ben began throwing up. I believe Erin, my other little sister, was also feeling sick. By the next day, some of us were better, but Josh and Rebekah were sick. And they were the ones to make quite an impression with that sickness. I wasn't there for Rebekah's big moment, but I understand it was dramatic. She, Erin, and Sarah, were going down the elevator to the lobby. Rebekah may have been in that certain denial we all go through just before we throw up, for I just can't believe she would've left the room otherwise. She got separated from Sarah and Erin, and found herself alone in a moving elevator. She suddenly threw up right on the middle of the elevator floor. And then the door opened to a mother and daughter who just looked at her, wide-eyed, and then the door closed. The next time it opened, there were Sarah and Erin. This is when I was called in, "Mom! Rebekah threw up in the elevator!" I ran to find her, and also found the faithful Disney employees who were cleaning up the mess, smiles on their faces, "Don't worry, Ma'am, we'll take care of it." They reminded me of the actors on the Truman Show, who would move in, ad-lib, and save a scene that was going south. I was grateful. Rebekah felt better by morning. But we noticed that her "splash" had etched its silhouette on the marble elevator floor. That was a topic of much discussion. It was buffed out the next day! Disney gets first place for OCD! While relatives with this disorder can be annoying, it is an asset at a resort.


Josh had also taken ill that night, but felt better by morning. Or so we thought. We walked in to Beaches N Cream for breakfast, and sat down across from Brenda. "How are you, Josh?" she asked. He answered with a gush! in the middle of the table. Again those Disnians were spot in the scene, cleaning away happily.


I now have to share my own emabarrassing incident. The bug got me as I was taking six-year-old Ben around Animal Kingdom. He had just bought a stuffed tree-frog, and carried it in a bag. Within 30 minutes, that bag would save the day. As my stomach began to churn, I knew it was time to find a bus back to the hotel. I walked so fast, with Ben is hand, he nearly lifted off the ground. The bus available was full, and Ben had to sit on my lap. The man beside me must have seen my discomfort, because he took his own 2-3 year old into his lap, making the seat available for Ben. As I broke out in a sweat, I knew what was coming. Among strangers, on a crowded bus. There would be no hiding it. I took Ben's frog out of the bag, and held the bag as close as I could to my face. It was a strurdy bag, and it held up well. The people in the bus acted like nothing was happening, full of pity, no doubt. Within minutes, we were off the bus, and I made a deposit in the nearest trach can. I just had to realize that I'd never see those people again.


Despite all the illness drama, we did manage to have a good time. Here's a pic of all the kids. The biggest kids are Erin and Robin, and the littlest is Ben, looking up under Goofy's nose. Inbetween are Sarah, Rebekah, and Josh.

No comments: