Friday, November 21, 2008

Community college




I did it. I applied for acceptance at my local community college. I filled out an easy form, paid $35.00 and was directed to placement testing. I made an appointment for today. I told Sarah about it before she left for class and she urged me to reschedule after brushing up on my math skills. She told me to expect adding and subtracting fractions as well as basic algebra. I haven't even taken algebra. Only pre-algebra! So I cancelled and am awaiting a call to reschedule. Meanwhile, I'm going to buy a book Sarah told me about that will prepare me for the math portion of the test. Hopefully this will help me to avoid spending the money on a math course, and I can go right into my interests. I only hope the classes I want to take don't fill up before I get the tests done and recieve my acceptance letter.

I felt a quiet exhilaration when I went in to the college yesterday, and started the process. I was finally going to college. Walking around the campus, my excitement built. I've waited several years for this. It's really happening! My brain cells began snapping and crackling, and I haven't even heard one lecture. The spring semester is just around the corner!

Rebekah is coming home tonight. We are all excited to see her. She's gotten a ride with a friend, so that saves the money and hassle of fetching her (she's 5 hours away).
I wonder what she'll think of Cosmo. I think she'll like him. He has a way of cuddling right into your heart. Rebekah's a pushover for little kids and cuddly pets. I think she'll be snuggling with him right away. (He'll kind of insist.) There's no resisting that punum. We have Becka for a whole week and 2 days. That's nice, because it won't be a pressured visit, hi-bye.

We're having Thanksgiving with my in-laws. I think I'm bringing pies. A tip about making a better Libby's pumpkin pie: add a tablespoon of rum flavoring for two pies. This is sure to bring raves. You'll never go back. My mom always did this, after a friend, Jean S, shared it with her.

Well, that's all. I need to buy that math book today. Sarah told me it was on sale at the bookstore she frequents.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I think that's AWESOME ABOUT GOING TO COLLEGE!

I had 3 little kids cheering for me when I graduated with my A.A.S. degree at the community college. It took forever and lots of hard work with little kids to care for all day while trying to do homework and studying but it brought me intellectual time that I crave and boosted my confidence a little too! Congrats!