Sunday, November 16, 2008

Faith turns 50

My bosom friend, Faith, turned 50 this week. Her family threw her a party today, and many friends came as well. As the few guys and kids that were there mingled and talked sports (and eventually watched sports in another room), Faith collected all of her girlfriends around, her, as well as her sweet mom, Betty. She blew a whistle and said, "Now, it's my birthday and I get to say what we're gonna do!" and she laughed. Faith is fun embodied. We all listened up. "We're going to interview each other, and start with introductions, and how you all met ME!" Betty started us off, with how Faith was born. Within 45 minutes, we knew much more about each other than I've ever learned of others at any other party. As each gal told her story of meeting Faith, Faith would join in, "Yes, it was when our sons were in kindergarten..." But if one of us joined in, and side-tracked the original person's stream of thought, thweeeet! Faith would blow that whistle. It was really funny! (I should explain that Faith was a teacher for some years, thus the crowd-control skills.)

The food was varied and plenteous, and included a chocolate peanut-butter cake, a pumpkin cheese cake, chips, guacamole, cheeses, crackers, grapes, cookies, munchy veggies, coffee, and pomegranate punch. My belly bulges as I type.

I took a many pictures. I'm having them made up for a little photo book for Faith to remember this momentous day.
Here's Faith and her son, Matthew. I met Faith through Matthew; he was in my son, Ben's, class in 8th grade.
Here I am with Faith, her daughter, Sarah, and her squirrel, Chip. She raised this orphaned squirrel over the past several months, and has grown very attached to him. She did this last year with another orphan squirrel, "Pip," and then released him into the wild, in woodsier parts than ours. But she cannot let go of Chip. Perhaps next year...
Happy Birthday, dear friend!

No comments: