Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Trusting in the Lord

My sister-in-law, K, is fighting for her life right now. She has been battling cancer for three years, and the last round of chemo really did a number on her immune system. She's in the ICU. She has a blood infection, and has had a transfusion, followed by many red blood cell transfusions. But she is not improving. This morning my brother called to tell me her liver and kidneys were failing. I spent the day at the hospital with him, as a support, but also, to get a chance to see K in case she doesn't get through this crisis. She's able to look at us, but is in and out of sleep, as she's on pain medication. My heart breaks to see her this way. She's only 37.

All we can do is trust in the Lord, that He has K and my brother in His hands, and that He is in total control of this situation. The truth is, we have to trust Him just to hold the earth in its right place in the solar system. A tiny bit closer to the sun, and we'd burn up; a tiny bit the other way, and we'd freeze. Our very breath, our ability to live and move independently, are amazing miracles we take for granted every day. I know that He can heal K, but I also know it may be time for her to go home, to be with Him. It's just so hard. I would love to see her released from her fatigued, pain-racked body, but selfishly I will miss her, and I don't want to see my brother go through this pain, losing the cherished wife of his youth.

Still, I trust that God knows best. That He is extemely involved in this situation, as He was when he first formed K's body in her mother's womb. I am able to rest in that.













1 comment:

Judy said...

Oh, Jill.

I will pray.