Saturday, October 4, 2008

Cheese, Gromit!

David, Ben, Noah and I went to the Farmer's Market this morning. As always, certain foods had to be gotten: bacon-wrapped chicken livers for David, soft pretzels for all of us, hot sausage, and feta cheese, for anyone interested - mostly David!

Going to market is always fun. Noah likes to watch the Amish girls twist the soft pretzels. The girls and I like to poke about in the odd little shops. David likes to watch people.

This morning, as we were buying David's feta, I happened to spot Wensleydale cheese! This the the famed cheese of the Wallace and Gromit shorts . I had to have some. This Wensleydale was flavored with cranberries. I had some alone though, just to see what is was like. I found it to be soft, lightly sweet, and somewhat grainy. I liked it very much. The cranberries were perfect in it.

















I have heard that the little cheesemaker in England who made this cheese was going out of business when the Wallace and Gromit animations became popular. As Wallace was always talking about Wensleydale cheese, a demand grew for it, and the company is now doing well. I believe they even put a Wallace and Gromit sticker on the cheese wheels now. I found the story on Wikipedia:

"In the 1990s, sales had fallen so low that production was at risk of being suspended.[6] However, the popular Wallace and Gromit animated shorts A Grand Day Out and A Close Shave had the main character Wallace mention Wensleydale as a particularly favourite cheese. Animator Nick Park chose it solely because it had a good name that would be interesting to animate, unaware of the company's financial difficulties.[7] The company contacted Aardman Animations about a licence for a special brand of "Wallace and Gromit Wensleydale", which proved to be an enormous success.[8] When the 2005 full-length Wallace and Gromit movie, Curse of the Were-Rabbit, was released, sales of Wensleydale cheeses jumped by 23%.[9] [10]"

Here's my cheese, ready to be devoured!
















And here's David doing an impression of Wallace, "Cheese, Gromit! Cheese!"



No comments: