Tuesday, October 28, 2008

They knocked me out and took all my wisdom!

Due to gum pockets, which is infection around the bases of teeth, in my case my wisdom teeth, all four had to come out. And so they did, yesterday. My mom took me there and back, and cared for me most of the day, til Ben came home and his "shift" started. Ben made me my first meal, chicken Ramen noodle soup. That was all I was allowed to have if I was really hungry. For dessert, I had a pina colada Italian ice.




Now I will have to start all over in getting wisdom. I've decided to store it in my ears this time. They are usually left on a person for their whole life.


My recovery has gone very well. This is probably due to the fact that the teeth were erupted, years ago. And they come in so straight, and helped to close a slight gap between my two top front teeth, you know the "rabbit teeth?" (One would think I would know their names and even dental numbers, with my husband having once worked for a dental supply co, but I do not. However, we do have a neat little cache of co. discarded fake teeth in his underwear drawer, just in case we should even need them.)

David was so concerned for me, remembering his own wisdom tooth extraction in his teens. Also, sadly, a boy recently died during a wisdom tooth extraction. And that had him worried. I think the boy had a reaction to the anesthetic. So far, I've never had a problem being knocked out, just nausea. When David got in from work, he brought me a big bunch of fall flowers and a container of Edy's French Silk ice-cream. What a sweetie...

















Here I am with my special ice-pack headband and cheeks full of gauze:





















In other news, my sister-in-law continues to improve. She had a brain MRI that showed no damage from the septic shock, as well as NO tumors - praise God! She's talking, getting rehab, and has even been gotten out of bed for roll-abouts. Do pray for her feet though. She has drop foot in both, and this will take some time in rehabilitating. We are still believing God for a total healing from the cancer in her body. For now, we know it is in many lymph nodes in her chest. She has had all the chemo and radiation she will ever be able to. So it's up to alternate treatments, and God's continuing mercy. He has been so good.


Here are K and my brother, Steve, after her first surgery last October.

Steve has been an amazing care-giver. He is so sweet and nurturing, and has gained much knowledge about cancer. But it seems to me , through this journey, he and K have gained even more Bible knowledge, as well as richer prayer-lives.

2 comments:

Judy said...

I'm glad to hear you are recovering well!

My diagnostic mammogram came out clear. I am sooo relieved, as I did not feel confident at all.

I hope your sis-in-law keeps improving.

Jill said...

Oh, I'm so glad all is well with you, Judy! I must get in for mine. Breast cancer took my Aunt Gerry...