Thursday, September 11, 2008

Working girl



Yet again, I have taken a part-time job. I'm working for a friend, who has a company that sells cleaning machines. My job is to phone previous customers, and find out if they have any needs, service for their machines, parts, another machine... It's a needful task, but one that the regular salesman don't have time to do. I can work from home, as I have a homepage on the company's website. I just have to keep the house quiet, which means locking up Miss Maisy, the crazy flip-out high-pitched barker who seems to think she has to alert me every time a leaf falls in the wrong direction, or, worse, a a woman decides to stroll her baby down our street.


My last job was in a large Christmas-oriented gift shop. It was fun at Christmas-time, even from September to February (after Christmas sales). But it got real quiet by March, and after re-dusting the Painted Ponies or Kitchen Fairies 3 times in 4 hours, I thought I'd go plum crazy. Plus, it just wasn't paying enough to justify the time and effort. Noah had to be in preschool with after care twice a week, and I worked 2 evenings. I never knew what I'd come home to at 9:30pm. Sometimes a mountain of dishes, sometimes an awake-hasn't-had-dinner 4-year-old. Not good. I quit. But now that 4-year-old is six, and in school all day, so maybe this new job will work out better. And it pays almost twice as much!

No comments: