Thursday, September 4, 2008

They call me Mello Cello


Noah took his first Suzuki cello lesson today. He was rather bratty for his very patient teacher. I think it was because he was so excited. Still, I did have to talk with him about behaving better next time, or he'd be missing out on a lot of TV time...


The first step to learning the cello, Suzuki-style, at age six, is responsive singing about the parts of the cello. His teacher laid the cello down face up, and sang, "Where are the F holes?" and Noah was to sing back, "Here are the left holes!" as he pointed at one with his dimpled hand. And on to the other parts. It was just too cute. As I watched him (when he wasn't be bratty), he reminded me of Christopher Robin.

I will have to be Noah's teacher at home. There are many little exercises we'll go over together. Also, I'm to bring a posterboard in next time, so that his teacher can trace aroud his feet, so he'll know just where to place his feet in relation to his cello.


Noah plays a 1/4 size cello. It's just too cute! He can even carry it on his back in its back pack case. His teacher called the case its "jacket," and showed Noah how to take it off and put it back on.


Noah didn't get to play yet, for all the pre-playing exercises his teacher wanted to introduce us to. Nonetheless, he wanted a picture of himself with his cello, the day it arrived. He was so excited! I'm so glad. Enjoying a musical instrument is a life-long joy.

No comments: