Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Respite in Rosebud


I went away last weekend. Noah and I hopped into my friend, Faith's, volvo, and headed three hours away to her parents' home in Rosebud, PA, in Clearfield Co.

Faith and I chattered happily, both being ENFP's, and the time flew. As soon as we got there, we headed to the main street for a town parade and fair. I loved the small town of Coalport, right across the river from Rosebud, a walk from Faith's childhood home. As fire engines and sportscars (advertising so-and-so for city council) inched by, the passengers threw candy to the crowd. Noah soon had more than he could carry. Nice ladies walked along, handing out balloons to kids. A Ten Commandments float went by - that was neat.
Noah takes a balloon

After the parade, we walked about and Noah won a bird whistle at a dart game! We ate hot dogs and snow cones, and every other person stopped Faith to say hello. "Oh, that was my cousin," Faith would explain, or her father's cousin, or her aunt, and so on. Everyone knew everyone else, or was related to them. I loved it. Also, I envied how Faith, now, and as a child, walked to her old-fashioned Methodist church, with the bells ringing everyone in. "Frank and I were married here." she told me. Yet again, I felt ripped off by my own wedding in a done-over grocery store, star-pierced lit border, mirrored poles and all... Oh well. The reception was OK. I often find myself wanting to have a vow renewal in an olf-fashioned church. Maybe someday we will - and then go on the honeymoon that David longs for. (Scuba-diving off some island - I'd really like that too!)

But I digress.
I so enjoyed staying with Faith's parents, Tom and Betty. They have a tidy country- decorated home with an expansive back yard. There are many hide-aways in the yard, and I found one in particular a favorite: a white heart swing, tucked under mature trees, near a babbling stream. There were purple and white foxglove growing by the stream. Here I had Bible devotions, and worked on the book I'm reading: The Kite Runner.
The swing by the stream
One night, Faith drove me to a mountain-top with a view all around. We climbed a water tower and saw even further. It was amazing. Then we went to Pirate's Cove for ice-cream, and some guys (Faith thought they were "lit") asked Noah (wearing a pirate hat) where his beard and hook were. At first he looked away, shyly. But then he sneaked out a hooked finger. They laughed. It was cute.
Faith and me (right)
It was a very restful time, and I'm so grateful to Faith for inviting Noah and me along. On our way back, having run out of heart confessions, Faith and I made up a story by turns, about a Victorian girl named Cora with a secret admirer. That was fun to do as we drove past mountains and rivers. The views were incredible. We stopped at an antique shop and I picked up some pink and green depression glass.

Back to the usual now. But I was ready to come home. I missed the rest of my family. Faith missed her squirrel.

No comments: