Saturday, June 23, 2007

My newest obsession


This is a red and white Boston Terrier. I'm totally enamored with this pup. And I like the way Bostons look grown up even more!
My only problem is that David isn't a major pet person. If it wasn't for me, we'd have no pets. He does enjoy them, but generally can take them or leave them. (Though he does admit a weakness for cats and boxers...)
Today we go to a picnic, to visit with a family from our church who moved to Florida last year. I'm very excited because I have a surprise for my mother-in-law. I made her mother's Pennsylvania Dutch potato salad. It's sweet and sour. I have Grandma's recipe box, and found it in there a couple years ago. I couldn't believe nobody else wanted that recipe box as we went through her belongings.
Also, I'm bringing a dessert that I call Faux Chocolate Pie. I made it up yesterday. Having a fondness for bar cookies, I started with a basic bar crust, and poured pudding over it. Try it for yourself:
Faux Chocolate Pie
1-1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1-1/2 (3/4 cup) sticks cold butter , cut into pieces
2 small boxes chocolate pudding (the kind you cook)
4 cups milk
Preheat oven to 335 degrees F. Blend flour, powdered sugar, and butter til course and crumbly. (I use my food processor.) Press into ungreased 9"x 13" pan. Bake for 18 minutes. Cool on rack. While it's cooling, make up the pudding (I do this in the micro), and pour over crust. Cool on counter for an hour, then in fridge for 2+ hours. You can put a meringue on top, but I don't.
My family just eats this up! I had to gaurd the last piece for Sarah Jane, as she was working at the hospital til late.
Now, I must figure out a way to sneak a little Boston into the house...

No comments: