Sunday, August 30, 2009

August Eve

This has got to be the most perfect evening of the whole summer. It's 7:47pm. The sky is washed in hues of pink and purple. The cicadas are buzzing lazily in response to the cooler, darker atmosphere. Their replacements, crickets, are warming up and chirping louder every few minutes. How I love a summer evening.



It was a lovely day too. Mid-70's with a breeze. Low humidity. A few puffy clouds decorated the sky. Of course, Noah and I took off for the park right after lunch. He scootered, and I toted a backpack containing my essentials: a good book - Villette, for now - a Sudoku book, a notebook - for any ideas I might have - my camera, cell, and a big bottle of water to share with Noah.


I read a fair amount of Villette, by Charlotte Bronte. I'm enjoying it, but it's not as good as Jane Eyre. She lingered too long on the characters. Altogether, it's too wordy; I think she could have pared the book down by about a third. As I read, I was continually dazzled by the diamond ring David gave me last summer. I finally took some pics of it.



















Noah enjoyed playing with other kids. He makes friends easily; probably - having no close siblings - because he has too. After an hour and a half, he and I swung on a bench overlooking the river, and talked. He's into Star Wars right now, so that's mainly what we talked about.


Of course I took pics on our park outing. In particular, I took some of a sweet little house which looks as though it's inhabited by hobbits. One half expects one to pop it's head out of the window and say hello. We walk by it every time we go to the park. I love my neighborhood. It's old and charming with mature trees and a variety of homes, older and newer. (mostly older) I also took some pics of some winding steps that were recently put down. The landscaping is endearing; it reminds me of a quaint English yard.


When we got back, we had Razzleberry pie and ice-cream and Ben and I watched Monk. I wish Mr. Monk lived next-door. (With Natalie close-by as well.)
























































No comments: