Monday, January 19, 2009

Martin Luther King, Jr

Tonight, I read, for the first time, Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech. It was an assignment from my professor. I was moved by that speech, and imagined what it must have been like to be black at that time, especially in the South. What an awful thing to live in a world of double standards, different bathrooms, drinking fountains, places to sit on a bus. To live in fear of being at the wrong place at the wrong time, and have a crime pinned on you, just because you were black. How foreign that is to us now. I am so thankful for the civil rights movement. It was, as Dr. King pointed out, a hundred years in coming, but his dream has come true.

1 comment:

Judy said...

I LOVE that speech. So much more to it than just the parts we are familiar with.

I bought a book of great speeches and was overwhelmed to read ALL of the words spoken in the speeches from the past. We don't realize just how much is unknowingly censored by our being given only what were considered to be 'highlights'.

How are your classes going?