Friday, October 9, 2009

Date night!


David and I are going on a date! He's in the shower as I type, while I have set the coffee-maker to start brewing at 8pm. It's going to be a "budget date," meaning we'll drive around, share our thoughts with each other, maybe comment on the architecture of various homes we'll pass, and end up at Block Buster. This is where we'll seek a "floor" movie in accordance with our free non-new release coupon. (Frugal-snaps!) Then we'll go home, cuddle - coffees in hands - and lose ourselves in some ficticious person's life. We might have a little snack, like the fudge David's parents recently brought him from New England. Or some of the white cake Sarah made on Wednesday.

Sarah's at work right now. I would like to pop in on her and see her in action - or at least at that central desk where all the nurses seem busy but chatty. I'd love to watch her insert an IV -

*OK - We interrupt this train of thought to comment on a certain noise which came from the couch. I never knew, until now, that dogs can make a little squeek when they pass gas. I thought they needed buns to make some noise. And who was it that caught my ears? Well, Cosmo, of course. Maisy is much too lady-like for such uncouth behavior. She prefers to belch. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...*

Now , where was I? Oh yes - Sarah in her scrubs. I can just see her now, busily cleaning some sort of liquid off someone or something, or perhaps adjusting a drip of some sort. She'd be smiling, attentive, making the patients feel important, cared about. I know her patients' feelings and comfort mean a lot to her.

Well, the shower has ended. Time to fly!

1 comment:

VAYANKEE said...

That your Sarah really cares about her patients and not "just dong her job" is wonderful -- and unusual nowadays, if it ever waa common.

I believe she would love the new two floors in the local hospital - Halifax Regional - which is one mile from my house.

It had two floors but two more floors were added on top and they had the open house a couple of weeks ago right before the first patients were admitted to the new floors.

There are 20 beds on each floor, ten on each side and all are private. They have large bathrooms where the showers are right at floor level from the room, no steps up or down.

There is a pull-out sofabed right under the windows so people can stay overnight in comfort.

Very deluxe accomodations, but the pay here is not good.

On each floor are two bariatric rooms, with wide beds and special scales and pull-ups for overweight people, which are a large number here.

Just go to the cafeteria - which is so good we sometimes go there as to a restaurant -- and look at the workers at lunch time, oh my.

They DO NOT have a central nursing station, but FOUR STATIONS, two on each side, so one for each five rooms in order to be closer to the patients. Seems like a great idea to me.

Jo-Ellen