Sunday, April 5, 2009

Peanut Butter Eggs!

Noah and I made peanutbutter Easter eggs today. We used a modified version of my sister, Wendy's, recipe. (I use less sugar) Here's the recipe:

PB Eggs
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
28-oz jar creamy peanutbutter
2 lbs 10x sugar
oil
water
3 lbs melting milk chocolate

Blend butter, pb, and sugar, drizzling oil and water, alternately, to bind until you have a filling that can be formed into eggs, but not mushy. (This mixture just fits into my KitchenAid mixer bowl, but I have to scrape it, and force the mix back down at times.) Form into eggs, about 2"x 1-1/2" or whatever size you prefer. Lay out on cookie sheet with sides, laying wax paper between layers. Freeze egg forms for a couple hours.
Melt chocolate in double boiler or glass pyrex bowl over pot of hot water, stirring often. Keep heat just high enough to simmer water. Meanwhile, spread wax paper on counter beside stove. I also use the wax-papered sheet I froze the eggs on, as I use them up. Dip eggs in melted chocolate with tongs, let extra drip off, and place on wax paper. Don't leave eggs in melted chocolate too long or they'll go soft. After first dipping, trim extra chocolate off hardened eggs and re-melt. Spoon more chocolate, about a teaspoon, over each egg, to double-coat. Let cool and harden. Store in fridge - if they last that long! Makes 50 2" eggs.

I've found that my dishwasher washes all the chocolate off the pots, etc.

Now let's see how we made them! (For fun, see if you find Cosmo in a couple pics.)

First we rolled them.










Then we popped the pb forms into the freezer and went to the park. Here's Noah on his new KettCar.










We came home a couple hours later, chopped and melted the milk chocolate, and dipped the eggs!






































































And here the are! Let the joy begin!

No comments: