Monday, February 9, 2009

Noah's Twinkle Recital

Noah had his Twinkle recital on the 29th, and did very well. It was in our home, and 17 of us were in the "audience." I arrranged the living room to hold everyone: Nanny, Papaw, Grandpa, Grandma Brenda, Robin, David, Sarah, Becka, Josh, Ben, plus our neighbors and friends down the street, Larissa and Tom, their four kids, and me.

Noah's suzuki cello teacher, Miss Barb, came and accompanied him. She had him enter the living room with an intro, and he introduced each Twinkle and bowed after he did each on. (There were 6 altogether.) He played an encore, Scotland's Burning, with his teacher, in unison and in a round, and then wanted to do another, Hot Cross Buns. I was glad to see him want to add that last one, as it showed he liked performing.

It was an easy crowd - we crowed over him. After he was done, Sarah asked Miss Barb if she could play something, and she did. It was amazing - quick and complex. She's part of a quartet, and her mother was a symphony cellist. When do you get a chance to have professional cellist play in your own home?

After the recital, everyone headed out to the dining room for the coffee, tea, and the desserts I had out. My mother-in-law chatted away with Barb, as they are both sopranos and belonged to the same music club for years. Before I knew it, Mom was playing Sarah's harp.

Here we are afterwards: Barb (right), Noah, and me. We three make up a team, as I have to spend a lot of time with Noah in practice. That's part of the suzuki program. I have to take notes, and learn much of what Noah learns, though he's much better than me because he plays 10x as much.



















His next recital will be a big one, at a local music hall. It's the area's Suzuki Association Recital, and all the strings will be there. The cello piece Noah and the other little boy, Silas, will play is Go Tell Aunt Rhody. Barb's older students will join them for it. He's very excited, and picking the song up quickly.

I get my very first big college assignment, a case study, back today. I'm nervous and excited. My next assignment, a critique on an essay, is a bit daunting, but David encouraged me, "Honey, the first time we try anything, it's scary, but you'll know how to do it after this."

Our kitty, Sylvia, has a new home now. It was so cold out I had to bring her in. But two of us, David and Becka, are allergic to her, so I put her in the paper for $50, to weed out people looking for free cats to sell to labs. I hope the guy who took her is happy with her. She'll be his only pet.

No comments: