Thursday, July 24, 2008

Chocolate Cake









I have discovered the best recipe for chocolate cake ever. Actually, my daughter, Sarah Jane found it first, but this is a variation of it. I was going to make SJ's, the one on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa, for my brother's 40th birthday last week. But there wasn't enough cocoa. I went to the store to buy more and all they had was Special Dark Hershey's Cocoa. This is just a gimmick, I thought, Cocoa is cocoa. They're just getting in on this dark-chocolate-is-good-for-you bit. Well, it was different. And in this recipe - better! I compared the cake recipes on the backs of these boxes, and they were identical. I don't understand it, but there it is.


I used store-bought frosting, Whipped Chocolate or such, and it went great with the cake. This week, however I used an icing that I would call a gritty flop. It was called Creamy Vanilla Icing. Don't use it. It's one of those cooked icings. No matter how I beat it to dissolve the granulated sugar, it was still gritty when I served it. This is the link to it:



http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,166,159183-249206,00.html



My family was great about it, telling me that the "cake was great!" But as I scraped dishes afterwards, I noticed a large amount of icing left behind...

No comments: