Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Snow days

Yesterday and today, my kids heard those words that children the northern states over long to hear: school closed! We've been watching way too much tv and eating too many carb-loaded snacks. I think I shall ban tv for a few hours today to encourage game-playing, or at least reading.

Last night, I caught and kept our outside kitty, Sylvia, in the the garage. It's probably 25 degrees warmer that outside, as it's part of the house. I have a pillow out there for her, next to a house-side wall. I hope she slept on it.


This morning, when David opened the garage door, Sylvia when slip-sliding and spinning out, and eventually found refuge under Sarah Jane's little red car. Then I let Maisy out, step-step flump-on-the-rump. It's her special dance for when there's an inch of ice on the driveway. She did it all the way to the yard. Then back in.


David impressed me with his driving skills. After sprinkling ice melt around, and waiting a few minutes, he pulled his little Saturn straight out, turned the front wheels, as the back wheels stopped and caused the whole car to turn, missing Sarah Jane's car, right onto the street. I was amazed. You have to know that our driveway has a rise that makes water run downhill towards Sarah Jane's car. So imagine driving over ice on this driveway. He could be a professional driver.

No comments: