Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Books on Tape

I am addicted to books on tape. I can't believe it took me this long to figure out how to keep my brain happy while doing housework/taxi-ing/walking. My house is now cleaner. I walk more. And I always arrive on time to pick up my kids from their many sport practices/games. Who knew?

It all started with a 5 hour car trip to see Becka in her Shakespeare play. I listened to Sights Unseen by Kaye Gibbons. Within weeks I listened to two of her other books, Divining Women, and Charms for the Easy Life. Both very interesting yarns.

Soon, I found myself purchasing a walkman and earbuds, as I could take my books anywere I went. I especially like walking and listening because I don't really have to think, just relax and enjoy the outdoors.

I just finished The Nature of Water and Air by Regina McBride. Again, a great yarn, though a bit more "blushing" than the others I've heard. I was glad for the walkman and earbuds.

After listening to these entertaining stories, I often wonder if I could write one myself. I do often find myself thinking up stories after casually observing people out and about, or thinking about something. I'm not sure if I should take some courses first, or dive in and try as I am...

No comments: